Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Tread to shred - More on taking advantage of summer

Treading is such a great way to shed some pounds in the summer. Your session can be as easy or as advanced as you want it to be from basic treading with arms and legs or you can work your arms by with minimal leg movement or vise versa. When you move your legs with minimal arms you can really get a good ab work out and gluts if you move your legs front to back instead of the bicycle motion usually associated with treading. Other advantages include: low level of difficulty, no equipment required, free pools mean no gym fees, and best of all no matter how hot it is outside you keep cool. It might seem like you're not getting much of a workout because you're not sweating but my heart races and I get out of breath so I know my metabolism is getting the boost I need to shred some poundage.

Friday, I missed a call from my friend, Kathy asking me to join her for a tread session since another engagement we both committed to was postponed. She said that she and Melanie were going to start treading together in addition to their morning walks and asked me if I'd like to join them. Again, letting folks know that you are committed to fitness opens the door for sharing the experience with others and adding to your routine. It also motivates you when others invite you to join them. I have decided to be a "yes Ma'am". Accepting any invitation to join others in their workouts.

Yesterday, I went to Ramsey and did my aquatics routine that I mentioned in a previous post with half laps of a variety of strokes. I did that for about 30 minutes and then got out to chat with a friend. Then, lo and behold, in walks Melanie ready to tread. There are some exercises that I enjoy doing with others and then some I'd like to take at my own pace. Treading is definitely one of those that is best done with a friend. Melanie and I treaded for an hour, chatting and treading the time away.

I saw Kathy later and we are going to try to come up with the best time for all of us to meet. You should join us if you live in the hood. I'll definitely let you know.

After an hour and half total of working out I had so much energy and wanted to keep the focus on health. My family ate at Hyde Park Bar & Grill and I got the 4 sides plate with corn and chili tamales, collard greens, roasted sweet potatoes and fresh green beans. This morning after my morning coffee I had some watermelon that I cut up on Friday, I love the ease of preparing food a head of time. Just grab and go. For lunch I cooked up some short grain brown rice, sauteed yellow squash and snap peas in coconut oil with ginger and garlic. It took no time at all and it was so flavorful. The rice cooks for almost an hour but if you cook a batch a head time all you have to do is add veggies, nuts, protein and a few spices and eat on it for the rest of the day.

Weight loss isn't about quick fixes and abrupt change. I am slowly changing my habits with a natural progression. When you feel healthy you feel like eating healthier and look forward to physical activity. If you've been reading my blog and all you have done is think about getting out there and moving your body, I challenge you to take action. Just get started and you will be so happy that you did. I know it all seems daunting, especially if you have a long way to go but every great journey begins with one small step. For months I thought about it and just came up with all the excuses I've written about before now I look back and think, "I would be so much further along if I would have just got up off my ass and did something months ago. "Luckily, Jesse lit a fire under me and I'm on my way. Now, I want to be your fire. Fire is the element of transformation. TRANSFORM!!

And if you are already working it, YOU MUST STAY DETERMINED!!!!

1 comment: