Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Friend's successes

I haven't taken the time yet to explore this blogger and figure out how everything works. I have tried inserting links after following the directions but they don't seem to work. Today, I'm home bloated and cramping because Aunt Flow came for a visit. Ladie's, you know what I'm talking about (sorry guys). Now, after spending a few minutes navigating through the tool bar I have discovered how to find the number of times my posts have been viewed - 285! That's exciting for me and so motivating. I have to tell you that more than anything, knowing that people are sharing my journey with me keeps me accountable. Knowing that at the end of the day I have committed to sharing my day coupled with my dedication to keeping it real pushes me through times that I might feel like giving up, it keeps me determined to reach my goal.

Another positive result of telling my story is that it compels my friends to share their weight loss successes with me. Knowing that my friends who have struggled with weight loss in the past are making huge progress gives me so much hope and inspiration. My friend, Kim, dropped 5 sizes! I asked her when the last time was she could wear the size she's now in and she said when she was about 5. I know she was gearing up for a class reunion but she is still sticking to her routine and working with her trainer. Kimi is feeling better than she has in her entire adulthood and she is in her late 40's (always older than me by 6 months). She is a single mom of two grown sons, and runs her family billiard business. I saw a picture of Kim at the reunion and she looks absolutely amazing. I'm so proud of her I want to cry.

And Shannon, she just posted that she lost 40 pounds steadily over the last year. She said she has been exercising and eating right and slowly she is getting healthier and leaner. Again, I'm gushing with pride and support for her. Shannon is 10 years younger than me, has her own massage business and she and her husband have an elementary-aged daughter. Shannon has a smile that will light up a room and I'm sure her light will shine even brighter now because with transformation of the body comes vitality and confidence (not that she ever seemed to lack it)

I know sometimes people will want to lose weight for a special occasion like a wedding, reunion, summer time, vacation, etc. I know of so many people who just stop their routines after the milestone has been reached and gain the weight back and then some. I remember when one of my co-workers at Amaze who  is an avid bicyclist and very fit said to me, "If you gain the weight back you put in all of the hard work for nothing, I want it to be for something or there is no point." A big huge light bulb clicked on for me when he said that. I know I have to be committed to the long term not just a milestone. Like Kim, she is still hitting the gym and is far from stopping.

Kim and Shannon are two different women at two different stages of life getting healthy by two different methods but the result is the same, transformation! As long as you're moving your body and committed to the long haul you will succeed.

Today, even though I just want to sit in my easy chair with a heating pad and eat chocolate I am still going to push myself to do something to work toward my goal. Working my upper body would be appropriate as well as gentle stretching/yoga, actually yoga would probably make me feel better. I may not work in the two 20 minute sessions but I think it's OK to nurture myself a little bit. BTW, dark chocolate is beneficial to weight loss, just so you know.

Please feel free to share your successes. Everybody wins when we work together.

STAY DETERMINED!!

2 comments: